Southern facade along York Street. Built before 1869, the two- and one-story building to the right was used as a Hollow Ware Foundry. The three-story building was built after 1880.
Fox Foundry, c.1890
2627 York Street, Philadelphia PA 19125
(northwest corner of East Thompson Street, back to East Boston Street)
© Carmen A. Weber, Irving
Kosmin, and Muriel Kirkpatrick, Workshop of the World (Oliver
Evans Press, 1990).
The small brick buildings on
the northwest corner of York and Thompson Streets
probably were probably constructed by the A. Hallman
Stove Company in the 1890s. 1
However, in 1875
James P. Davis had a hollowware foundry on this
operated the Richmond Iron Foundry on the same property
in the 1880s, with one cupola and 32 employees.
In the twentieth
century, the Kappler and Fox Company ran the
The two story
brick building on the corner still has a painted sign
stating "Fox Foundry" as well as a metal medallion over
the door proclaiming "Fox." Metal working industries also
once occupied much of the surrounding blocks in the early
twentieth century. The large William Cramp and Sons
Shipyard had brass foundries to the south and east of the
Fox Foundry and one building of the Lowry Top and Body
Company (later the Joseph P. Cattie Galvanizing and
Tinning Works) still stands on the corner of Letterly and
1 Hexamer General Survey #363 (?), "Whiling Manufactory, Hasse & Pratt."
2 G. M. Hopkins, City Atlas of Philadelphia by Wards, (Philadelphia, 1875).
3 Lorin Blodget, Census of Manufactures of Philadelphia (Philadelphia); and, George W. Bromley, Atlas of the City of Philadelphia, (Philadelphia, 1887)
4 George W. Bromley, Atlas of the City of Philadelphia, (Philadelphia, 1910); and, Atlas of the City of Philadelphia (Central), South Street to Lehigh Avenue, (Philadelphia, 1922).
Update May 2007 (by Torben Jenk):
The building survives largely unimproved since foundry operations ceased here in the 1970s. Now run by Jim Medaris and his cousin, the third generation owners who subcontract their foundry operations within the US and overseas. The company continues to sell various plumbing parts, including castings of area drains unique to Philadelphia. Their grandfather worked in the stove business around Second and Race streets in the early 20th century before moving up to York Street. He didn't mark his castings, not wanting to deal with complaints from customers, so their castings remain anonymous unlike the familiar "Adams" and "Creswell."
Bounded by Hagert, Letterly, Gaul and Almond Streets, the former Cattie Galvanizing has been taken over by Voight & Schweitzer who offer an online demonstration of the hot dip galvanizing process.
Hexamer General Surveys #796 (1874), "Hasse & Pratt's Steam Whiting Works"; "Pratt & McKenzie's Putty Manufactory."
Hexamer General Survey #1409 (1880), "Pratt & MacKenzie's, Standard White Lead, Color & Putty Works"; "Wm. S. Pratt's, Steam Whiting Works."