Workshop of the World

stories of industry in & around Philadelphia

Pasted Graphic
Northwest corner Trenton Avenue & Sergeant Street (2007).

Model Mills, 1870
2531 Trenton Avenue & 2155 East Sergeant Street, Philadelphia PA 19125
(east side of Trenton Avenue between Sergeant Street and Hazzard Street)

Carmen A. Weber, Irving Kosmin, and Muriel Kirkpatrick, Workshop of the World (Oliver Evans Press, 1990).

The two story brick Model Mills on the southeast corner of Trenton Avenue and Hazzard Street dates to 1870. James Whitaker and Brother added a four story brick building along East Sergeant Street in 1887. They produced shoddy yarn on the first floor of this building while tenants made carpets, ginghams, and shirtings in the remainder of the complex. 1 In the twentieth century, hosiery, turkish towels, and tapes and bindings were all produced in this mill. 2 The last occupant of the mill was the Delaware Ribbon Manufacturers.

1   Hexamer General Survey #2102 (1887), "Model Mills, Jas. Whitaker & Bro. Owners."
2   Elvino V. Smith Atlas of the 18th, 19th, and 31st Wards of the City of Philadelphia, (Philadelphia, 1904); also Bromley, 1922.


Update May 2007 (by Torben Jenk):
Both the two story and four story buildings survive in stable condition. A neighbor mentioned that she tied and packed decorative ribbons at Delaware Ribbon which recently ceased operations. The property was sold for $1,000,000 in October 2005 and a 'For Sale' sign is on the building.